What is Invitro or IVF fertilization?
For many couples, being parents has no price, it is a totally natural and incredible process, but for other couples, it is not as simple as it sounds, it requires a strong economic and emotional investment, since they present some difficulties that for a time, they have not been able to overcome and that is why they seek help with in vitro fertilization treatments.
The in vitro fertilization It is part of the range of options offered by some centers dedicated to assisted reproduction, it is recognized for its high success rates and for its great complexity. This treatment consists of the union of an ovum with a sperm in a specialized laboratory.
East treatment of Assisted reproduction , has the purpose of obtaining, through the union between an ovum and a healthy sperm, at least one embryo of impeccable quality and that after its transfer to the mother's uterus, they can be accepted and allow a successful pregnancy to occur, without major complications or eventualities.
It is composed of different steps that must be worked over several months for the process to be completed. Its reputation is among the highest standards because its chances of success are truly successful, compared to other treatments that can be much more complex.
It has an average price of at least 14 million pesos, not including the medications corresponding to the treatment, depending on the dose required by the couple.Its high price corresponds to the fact that it is a treatment that is carried out outside the mother's womb, treating with oocytes, sperm, and the result of both, which are embryos.
It is important to consider that out of every ten couples who have a problem getting pregnant, five manage to get pregnant naturally, and the other five resort to assisted reproduction treatments. Of these five couples, three achieve success through artificial insemination (a less expensive and complex treatment) and two achieve success through in vitro fertilization.
When is IVF treatment recommended?
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is professionally recommended to couples who after a period of sterility or infertility, and determined by a specialist center; If it is concluded that IVF is the best option compared to any other assisted reproduction solution or treatment, remember that at Celagem you can get guidance or schedule an appointment totally free.
The time of infertility and age are determining factors to define and magnify said in vitro fertilization treatment in the case.
There are multiple reasons why a specialist may recommend IVF treatment. Both men and women have a participatory level in this process, so it would only be enough for one of the two parties to present pathologies, for the process to stop without completing the cycle.
IVF is treated above all, in patients with infertility, and cases where both men and women participate are promptly identified:
In the female case , there are some difficulties for which the use of in vitro fertilization is recommended:
- After several unsuccessful artificial inseminations
- Older women
- Low quality in the ovarian reserve
- Injury or abnormality in the fallopian tubes
- Absence of the fallopian tubes
- Women with endometriosis
- Couples needing a preimplantation genetic study
- Male couple with low sperm quality
In the male case , there are some sperm difficulties that warrant the use of the in vitro fertilization technique:
- Low concentration of sperm is determined in ejaculation.
- Low quantity and low concentration of sperm in the sample.
- Low mobility is determined in sperm, which hinders the fertilization process.
- Abnormal morphology, an atypical appearance can be determined in the sperm, including all its parts, from head to tail.
What are the cases where an in vitro fertilization should be performed?
This assisted reproduction technique is indicated in the most complex cases, where a simple treatment such as a artificial insemination It would not give the expected results, nor would it guarantee a significant percentage of success.The cases where the option of in vitro fertilization is relevant are:
Blockage in the fallopian tubes
Historically, this method was thought for women who did not have their fallopian tubes in good condition, either because they were excluded due to previous surgeries or because they have obstruction in the fallopian tubes.
endometriosis is the presence of endometrial tissue outside the uterus. The most severe form of this pathology is determined at the moment where nodules begin to form that affect the area of the uterus, ureters, intestine and bladder. Also reaching other more delicate areas.
In vitro fertilization is the best treatment to precisely solve all the difficulties that male sterility can cause.
Unknown origin of sterility
IVF is recommended as a second option in the event of this type of eventuality, since the first attempt at pregnancy is made through artificial insemination, giving as a second option, in vitro fertilization treatment.
Advanced Age in Women
Certainly the woman obtains a higher gestational performance or a higher quality of eggs, in the ages between 20 and 35 years, quite possibly age is a fundamental factor negative, for which it is not possible to carry a pregnancy. So it must be determined, if in vitro fertilization is the best solution for the case.
Repeated failures of artificial insemination
If for some reason, the artificial insemination treatment is not successful on several occasions, the patient will require a major intervention, which would be to fertilize the eggs with the sperm, within a laboratory, and then transfer the egg, to the mother's uterus.
Advantages of an IVF treatment
Although the reality of this treatment is that its cost is high, the in vitro fertilization is the technique most used internationally by each assisted reproduction center, since the priority is on the one that provides better results or maintains the highest success rate, which in this case, leads the IVF .
Breaking down some of the advantages of an in vitro fertilization, we have:
- The IVF It allows couples to have their own biological children, with or without the use of donor sperm or egg.
- It is a treatment that for the patient is quick, simple and painless.
- During this technique, ovarian stimulation is a gentle treatment, reducing any side effects.
- In Vitro fertilization has a long and safe history, so over the years this technique has been studied and perfected, in order to obtain the best results among all assisted reproduction treatments.
- Its success rate is much higher than some treatments, such as artificial insemination. Regarding age factors, the range determined for women over 40 is 11%, while women in a range under 35 have a 25% chance of success
- It is 100% recommended when it comes to providing solutions to possible problems such as the fallopian tubes, sperm quality or cases of infertility where its origin is not determined.
- It is the ideal treatment for single mothers or fathers , as well as for same-sex couples
- During the clinical process, the couple has the option of solving some hereditary pathologies, also the chromosomal area.
- For this treatment there are no negative terms, it is the ideal treatment, if you have obstructed fallopian tubes, tubal ligation, low sperm quality and irregular menstrual cycles
- The quality and embryonic development are made fully visible within the process
- Several quality embryos can be obtained, which can be delivered to a vitrification process, where unused embryos are cryopreserved, for future transfers that preserve fertility or for a second attempt, in case the first transfer fails to arrive. to the point of success.
In this way it is evident that in vitro fertilization has great advantages and benefits to offer, its role is not only to help couples with fertility obstacles, but also to make multiple decisions, which clearly does not exist in the natural method of reproduction.
What are the risks of in vitro fertilization?
Like all medical and assisted reproductive treatment, there may be some risks. The complications of these procedures are controlled and can be extremely eventual, among the most common risks of in vitro fertilization, we find:
- There may be an exaggerated response to ovarian stimulation treatment , which is known as hyperstimulation.
- Ectopic pregnancies, that is, outside the uterine cavity.
- Abdominal fluid retention
- Weight gain
- Nausea and in some cases vomiting
- Increased vaginal discharge
- Breast tenderness
- Humor changes
- Tiredness or fatigue
- Low blood pressure
- Abdominal distension
- Injury to organs adjacent to the ovaries, such as the bladder, intestine, and damage to blood vessels.
- Multiple gestation , the more embryos are transferred to the uterus, the greater the chances of acquiring this risk.
- Spontaneous abortions, in the first weeks of gestation.
- Delayed intrauterine growth
- Regarding follicular puncture, there is a risk of infection and bleeding
Although it is a complex treatment, these possible complications rarely arise, the best advice is to choose a medical center that gives you guarantees, that is professional and takes care of your health and safety carefully.
What are the differences between IVF in vitro fertilization and AI Artificial Insemination?
In the following video our youtuber presenter Johana Gutiérrez in her program "In Celagem we tell you it easy" teaches us the differences between invitro fertilization and artificial insemination.
How long can pregnancy take through In Vitro fertilization?
In a couple, the most common of all doubts that arise when evaluating your chances of having a baby with in vitro fertilization treatment may arise, and that question is that of How long can the pregnancy through in vitro fertilization ?, The reason for this question is that the couple is looking for a relationship of quality, price and time.
The average time that this treatment lasts is approximately one month or 30 days.
The average time that this treatment lasts is approximately one month or 30 days. The In Vitro Fertilization technique is complex but fast, as we already know, it consists of the union of an egg and a sperm in the laboratory, to obtain in this fertilization, a quality embryo that can be transferred to the uterus of the mother or pregnant woman.
You can have more information about our professional staff and IVF In Vitro fertilization treatments at the following link: Fertility and reproduction clinic in Bogotá To know exactly the reasons why the treatment has an approximate month to give the result, we must break down what are the processes involved during it:
- Tests diagnostic previous : the first phase of the process is to go to the evaluative exams, where the state of fertility and general health of the couple or the woman is studied, in this way it is certified if the treatment is appropriate for the mother. The time devoted to this phase is defined by the couple.
- Ovarian stimulation: This phase consists of receiving a subcutaneous medicine (by injection) that allows the maturation of the oocytes and, in turn, increases the chances of acquiring a successful pregnancy through IVF, on average only one egg reaches the last stage of maturity, for this For this reason, most pregnancies carry only one embryo. This hormonal treatment has an average duration of 12 days for its efficiency.
- Oocyte Extraction: The procedure, also known as Ovarian puncture, lasts only one day and one session. It is painless and is performed vaginally, through the use of localized anesthesia, where the oocytes are extracted, for a time of approximately 15 minutes.
- Oocytes in the laboratory: After the extraction of the oocytes, they are sent to a laboratory for inspection and insemination, this laboratory phase begins with the cultures, where the best quality embryos are chosen after approximately three days for subsequent transfer to the uterus.
- Embryo transfer: After fertilizing the eggs with the sperm, the choice of the best embryos for the transfer is made, so it can be used for 3 to 4 more days in the process, which finally culminates in the pregnancy test stage. It should be noted that only a maximum of two embryos are transferred, to avoid a multiple pregnancy.
- Pregnancy test: The last process that In Vitro fertilization must follow, which guarantees the success of this treatment, is the blood pregnancy test. This test is performed 12 or 15 days after the transfer, which certifies that the embryo was implanted correctly in the uterus and that the treatment has finally been successful.
Each patient presents different conditions or different responses, so the In Vitro fertilization process may vary in time depending on the case and the responsibility of the patient to follow the instructions of the medical center step by step.
In cases where the treatment is not successful, there is a reserve of embryos that remains from the laboratory and insemination phase. And the couple can request a new attempt of this last phase of the process.
How is the preparation prior to In Vitro Fertilization?
If you decide to perform in vitro fertilization, you must bear in mind that there is a precious preparation for in vitro fertilization. Remember that first of all, good research, advice and a good medical center is important to facilitate this process, giving you the best experience.
The first place, you must keep in mind, up to date and complete, your medical history or your fertility medical interview. In this regard, the specialist doctor seeks to know all the factors from the past to the present, that may affect the couple, orienting them towards the causes of the problem and choosing the possible solutions that can be provided.
Several of the aspects, which are evaluated in said interview or medical evaluation, involve:
- Family history
- Blows or trauma to the testicles
- Recurrent contact with toxic substances
- Hereditary diseases
- Unsuccessful or unsuccessful attempts at previous pregnancies
- The regularity of the patient's menstruation
- Gynecological check-ups
- Previous gynecological operations
- Blood test
- Study of sperm morphology
- Presence of endometriosis
- Evaluation of the couple's habits
For this reason, there are other aspects that you should assess before starting the evaluation process of an In Vitro Fertilization. As a recommendation, it is important to stop toxic habits such as alcohol consumption and tobacco. You must average your BMI or body mass index, which is not a mandatory measure, however it is a reference to maintain a healthy weight. Try to visit your gynecological center constantly to evaluate your state of health and finally, maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
Analyze the environment you surround yourself with, you should greatly avoid any hormonal disruptor that may affect your health and the fertilization treatment that you are about to start.
Disruptors are directly associated with the endocrine system, they are chemicals capable of mimicking and altering hormones. These substances, unfortunately, are found in a large part of our environment, some disruptive elements can be: canned foods, insecticides, heavy metals, high consumption of marine species such as blue fish.
Avoid nail polish, dyes, treatments or perfumes, as they can be harmful; Also avoid places where you find the presence of cigarette smoke. On the contrary, the use of mild creams, natural soaps or organic shower gel is totally recommended and feel free to do sports activities that help you exercise and stay strong and healthy.
When the decision to take this treatment is safe, a ovarian stimulation to the future mother, which consists of a hormonal medicine that allows the maturation of the oocytes, necessary for this process.
After completing the hormonal treatment, the next step is to go to our fertility specialist clinic for the extraction of mature eggs, using the ovarian puncture technique. By fulfilling these terms and previous stages, the couple will be prepared for the next step, which is to fertilize the egg with the IVF technique.
It is part of a list of general tips that you should keep in mind during the IVF process. Before and during the process, the couple should not hesitate to resolve any doubts that may arise on the tour, since they have the support of experts and professionals who take the progress of the treatment and are trained to guide them, according to the specific situation. of the couple.
It is part of a list of general advice that you should take into account during the in vitro fertilization process. Before and during the process, the couple should not hesitate to resolve any doubts that may arise on the tour, since they have the support of experts and professionals who take the progress of the treatment and are trained to guide them, according to the specific situation. of the couple.
Recommendations after In Vitro Fertilization treatment
When going through all the phases of IVF treatment, there are crucial moments that determine the correct development of the child. Some depend on the chosen medical center, such as managing the genetic material and taking care of the high chances of success. The patient, on her side, should also take rest when required.
The questions many couples ask themselves when discussing treatment focuses on Can the patient alter the procedure in a negative way? Support from a partner or close family member can be an encouragement for the patient. Especially when other methods have been tried without success.
A psychological help for these cases is one of the key points to understand and positively handle the different emotions along the way.
IVF treatment is a low-risk procedure, where a laboratory is needed to achieve pregnancy in the patient. Fertilization takes place outside the uterus, to be implanted last. This step is known as embryo transfer . And it is the most important to achieve pregnancy, the result would be checked 15 days after implantation, through a laboratory test.
The treatment after in vitro fertilization is the 15 days that must be waited to verify the pregnancy. In that time, questions about preventive care may arise. Although its effectiveness will depend largely on the quality of the embryos and the uterus, the patient can take certain precautions:
- Rest at the end of in vitro fertilization: Once the embryo transfer is complete, the patient must rest for a minimum of 20 minutes in the chosen center. After this rest, the patient can return to her daily routine, as long as she avoids destabilizing emotions, such as stress. The outside help is important to collaborate in the excessive tasks of the work or home.
- Do not carry or lift heavy objects: Everything that equates to a weight or great effort, must be replaced by someone external. Daily activities such as cooking, cleaning or driving can be done without hindrance. If the work does not involve weight, you can also do any activity normally. Activities such as meditation or yoga are fully recommended.
- Avoid sexual intercourse: After ovarian stimulation, which represents the first step of IVF. The eggs grow in size, which results in contractions in the cervix when an orgasm occurs. Altering the correct implantation of the embryos in the uterus.
- Only medicines recommended by the doctor: It is better to prevent any alteration of the embryo implantation, for this reason doctors tend to pre-write a series of medications in case the patient develops any pain. In case it is another medicine, it is advisable to consult before. They are usually prescribed for those days and the development of the pregnancy.
- Immersion baths: Bathing daily is one thing, which is totally allowed. When we talk about immersion, they refer to swimming pools or beaches, where there is less control of the environment and it can have an impact on a vaginal infection.
- Drink water daily: When you don't drink enough water, our cells become dehydrated, affecting endometrial cells, making it difficult for them to function.
If the parents have a Family planning more widespread. They can freeze the eggs that were collected from ovarian stimulation. Returning later to use this method, which does not have a pregnancy limit, unless age may incur a treatment failure if you are over 35 years old. Where ovarian quality lowers the level.
Otherwise, they can be donated to egg banks, where many couples or single women, due to a failure in their own genetic material, need it to achieve pregnancy. Reproductive assistance centers generally have their own bank for both men and women.
After verifying that the patient is pregnant, the next steps are the same as a patient with an average pregnancy. A diet should be followed if recommended by the doctor or constant rest. Monthly visits to the obstetrician are important, they can anticipate an alteration or an early delivery.
Each pregnancy is different, and the important thing is to enjoy the 9 months of gestation, which ends with the birth of the baby. Closing one stage and opening many more, entering into the upbringing and growth of the child.
Pregnancy as a result of IVF
In most of the phases that IVF brings, the couple eagerly awaits the positive pregnancy test, which is known 15 days after embryo implantation. Pregnancy occurs in the same way as pregnancy, without using assisted reproductive techniques.
If before 15 days you begin to suspect that the woman is pregnant, it is better to tell the doctor, especially if there is possible bleeding or severe pain in the lower abdomen.
The treatment that will be carried out in pregnancy will depend on each patient, there are those who may present some complication in the pregnancy, as well as those who do not need help other than a balanced diet and rest periods between activities. It is an unknown experience, and it is understandable that they want to foresee some alteration detrimental to the successful birth.
Monthly consultations with the obstetrician are of high importance, he will evaluate if the embryo develops normally. In case of feeling pain or other unusual symptoms, it is advisable to contact the doctor, some offer their contact number or home visits if the future mother is in the final stages.
Pregnancy as a result of IVF represents the beginning of the stage that many have eagerly imagined. All parents who have gone through these processes know the pleasant experience until the arrival of the child.
Pregnancy does not change at all from normal gestations, as long as the uterus is in optimal development capacities. Like many women who choose IVF, they may feel more attached to pregnancy or be more alert to possible symptoms. The important thing is to enjoy it and connect with the feeling of mother.
The couple may think that their pregnancy is not normal, since they needed external help, however it is the opposite, the different techniques are designed to reach that population sector and that they can live the experience from their own body, without being a social disadvantage.
Many people wonder what happens after ovarian stimulation and if it affects pregnancy. Ovarian stimulation has a deadline, returning again to its natural state.It is important within 15 days of embryo implantation, since there are signs of the treatment and it is advisable to stay calm, and avoid sexual intercourse, which can cause contractions in the uterus due to its dilation. But then you can go back to your daily routine, as long as the pregnancy allows.
Ovarian stimulation does not play an important role in the gestation phase, it does not cause pain or discomfort, since the hormones that were placed stop working, and the course of the menstrual cycle returns to normal. As well as the number of eggs per ovulation and the thickening of the fallopian tubes.
The pills or supplements that doctors prescribe in pregnancy will depend on the conditions of the pregnant woman and her health. It is not the same in all cases and what can be offered are general recommendations to the pregnant woman, such as:
- Drink enough water so that the cells do not recharge, and their functioning is slowed down. Not only hers, if not the baby's, which is in the development phase.
- Daily stretching, this prevents some muscles from atrophying, such as the legs or arms. As well as short walks to oxygenate and clear the mind.
- Eating healthy is very important, avoid sugary drinks or food that does not provide protein to the fetus. Remembering that he drinks he also eats what his mother eats. Alcoholic beverages or cigarettes are bad for the health of both.
If after the pregnancy, weeks later, there is a miscarriage, the practice is not performed again until the cause that originated that loss is found. If there is a maximum of 4 attempts with in vitro fertilization and pregnancy is not achieved, the couple must again resort to an exhaustive study of the genetic material or use male or female gametes from third parties. As well as opting for another assisted reproductive technique.
In vitro fertilization in Latin America
In 1984 the first baby in Latin America was born in Colombia with the IVF assisted reproductive technique. After the success, it began to expand to other countries such as: Brazil, Argentina and Chile.
In Latin America, Colombia is one of the most important places for in vitro fertilization, which is one of the most widely used assisted reproduction techniques, this is due to its high success rate and affordable prices for many people who hope to make their dream come true. reality of starting a family.
It is common for people from other continents to decide to undergo treatments in Colombia since the success rate is quite high and the reliability that this generates.
In Vitro Fertilization in Colombia
Colombia is a country located in South America, it is part of the list of countries in which assisted reproduction is professional, responsible and safe.
Although its reputation is high, few patients consider this nation to achieve the dream of their life, the power to start a family quickly, safely, legally and efficiently.
Currently, Colombia is credited with multiple success stories related to this type of treatment. Helping hundreds of couples every year, who have certain conditions that apply to the In Vitro fertilization technique. This country, as a destination to take the fertilization treatment, offers you great opportunities and benefits:
- Medical assistance: Colombia offers centers specialized in these treatments, with endorsed and certified experience, in addition to having state-of-the-art technology to guarantee more efficiency in each procedure, in conjunction with a professional and qualified team of doctors and nurses.
- Psychological assistance: This process can affect the couple a little, since they are emotionally sensitive moments, in addition, the woman is exposed to medications that alter her hormones. Therefore, psychological care is a priority. In Colombia, the specialized care center for in vitro fertilization treatment will be in charge of granting you well-being, safety and mental health in the face of this treatment.
- Legal assistance: Colombia is currently evaluating the conditions and laws that may govern and protect this medical care, so that its original purpose is not misrepresented. At the legal level, Colombia popularized this law, based on equal rights and duties, where it is required that the honor, privacy and dignity of each family be totally inviolable elements. In Colombia the legal field is prepared to help you in this complex but glorious process.
- Excellent location: Colombia makes any reproductive treatment more accessible, a factor that benefits couples who are abroad, reducing initial budgets, since the stay in Colombia is very accessible compared to other countries
- Accessibility: In vitro fertilization treatment is a complex and highly expensive technique; However, Colombia maintains the most accessible prices, a price that also depends on the type of in vitro fertilization that the patient deserves
- There is no distinction in pairs: Colombia does not have laws or major restrictions regarding the application of same-parent or single-parent couples. From there also comes the growth of Colombia in terms of these treatments, it corresponds to the flexibility and acceptance of homosexual couples and respect for the decision of being a father or single mother. This treatment manages to be a possibility within the nation, for this type of couples.
Knowing everything you need for this treatment, Celagem is willing to give you the best support, attention and information, in whatever the couple requires to study their case and evaluate competent solutions to the problem.
The most successful of treatments can become a reality, with an orientation from start to finish, the support of a good, responsible and efficient center and the best attitude of the patients, is the key to success in each application.
Prices of an In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
The question that many of our patients ask themselves, how much can an In Vitro fertilization cost?
Celagem's main objective is to offer the highest quality assisted reproduction treatments at reasonable and accessible prices.
Thinking about having a baby through IVF?
Press the button to schedule a free appointment, here one of our specialists will guide you through the process and will answer all the questions you may have regarding assisted reproduction treatments. At Celagem we are ready to make your dream come true.