[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Surrogacy is an assisted reproduction technique that seeks to solve a problem that a large percentage of the population suffers from, infertility. This sector cannot, due to various alterations or decisions, develop the pregnancy or bring it to term.
Homosexual couples, for example, are faithful to this method, because it allows them to donate part of their genetic material so that the future baby enjoys a completely original genetic identity of the intended parents. Heterosexual couples can only use this technique if the doctor in charge requests it necessary, never for aesthetic reasons.
To carry out the gestational surrogacy, surrogacy There are 3 fundamental elements and without which it is impossible to resort to treatment.
Being essential Intentional patients
A surrogate mother being essential
Being essential a clinic that is the mediator between the phases medical y legal of all process.
Therefore, in this article we are going to discuss the most relevant points to gain in-depth knowledge of everything about surrogacy.[/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image=”6283″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][vc_column_text ]
Types of surrogacy
When this question is asked “what is surrogacy?“There are 2 ways to classify it, by the origin of the eggs and the modality of the surrogate mother.
This technique can also be known as a surrogate mother or wrongly called “womb for rent”, we highlight that it is wrongly called that way because it shows for the first time that it is a business and not a voluntary and altruistic act of exceptional women who support couples. or people who have a physical alteration, so that they can create a new life in their own womb for a different family.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]
By origin of ovules
- Partial or traditional surrogacy: The pregnant woman provides the eggs and artificial insemination is performed. It is a type of pregnancy that is rarely used today, preventing the mother from creating an emotional bond with the child.
- Complete or partial surrogacy: The pregnant woman will only be in charge of developing the baby during the nine months of pregnancy. genetic material it comes from a donor or from the patients, if a good genetic material is successfully verified.
Commercial or Altruistic
- altruistic gestation: The surrogate mother does not intend to receive financial compensation for carrying the baby, only the expenses while the pregnancy develops. this implies medicines, clothing, food, medical supplies and everything related to pregnancy. In some countries, surrogacy can only be offered if the candidate is altruistic, so it is prohibited to receive separate remuneration.
- Gestation with financial compensation: The surrogate mother, apart from the expenses of the pregnancy, requests financial compensation for the duration of the pregnancy. The amount is often predefined in the laws of the chosen country.
[/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image=”6278″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][vc_column_text]
Legal situation of the practice by country
A country may find itself in one of these legal situations.
- Legally Permitted: In these countries there is legislation that protects surrogacy, AS WELL AS THE legal instruments to carry it out, conditions of the surrogate mother, medical costs and contracts between both parties. Being a surrogacy agency an entity that seeks to fulfill the rights and duties of each one. Some countries that allow it are Canada, the United States, Ukraine and the United Kingdom.
- Completely prohibited: These are the countries that establish the nullity of the surrogacy contract. It is completely prohibited and if a couple does it outside of that country, they must bring a record that legitimizes the child as their own. However, it is possible and many couples have traveled to different European or Latin American countries in order to achieve their dream. Some of these countries are Spain, the Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland.
- Without (undefined) or partial legality: They are the countries that do not express a position on the subject of surrogacy, it is not prohibited, but it is not completely legal either. They keep at bay. A well-known country is the case of Colombia, where a couple can request surrogacy without eventualities. Medical and legal fees are defined between the international surrogacy association and Colombian agencies to maintain legality.
[/ Vc_column_text] [vc_column_text]
When is it needed?
Surrogate motherhood is necessary when the couple cannot by other means conceive. Whether it is in the case of a heterosexual couple, the doctor will treat the case and many times they will look for other solutions so that they can gestate in their own womb.
It is a stressful and emotionally strong situation for many couples. It is advisable to be patient throughout the process.
However, the population that mostly uses surrogacy are male homosexual couples, who completely need the help of a surrogate mother. It should be noted that in order for them to use this method they must be married.
In cases where there is a single person who wants to build a homoparental family, they can also make use of surrogate motherhood. As long as his mental and physical health is proven, as well as the decisions that lead him to take the initiative to raise a baby without a partner.
When surrogacy is performed, the intended parents may or may not donate the genetic material if it is in order. This is defined by medical tests. If this is not the case, they must resort to a donor that will be chosen based on the similarities with the intending parents so that the child feels included.
The biological parents will provide the genetic material to develop the embryos. However, only the medical information will be needed, in some cases. Legally the parents of the baby will be the patients or intended parents.[/vc_column_text][vc_single_image image=”6221″ img_size=”full” alignment=”center”][vc_column_text]
Relationship between Intended Parents and Surrogate
In general, surrogacy centers do not allow contact between both parties to keep the identity of the future parents safe. Therefore, the surrogacy clinic can be seen as a mediator between both parties, ensuring the rights and duties of both people.
Is surrogacy allowed in Colombia?
In part, surrogacy in Colombia is not regulated, but that does not prevent companies and institutions from being established that seek to help thousands of couples in the world. At Celagem we have an expert team to advise on all the process, legal aspects and we have the experience to successfully meet the goal of creating new families.
Colombia does not present a risk for patients, on the contrary. Its surrogacy rates, quality of medical equipment and staff make it very competitive with Latin American and European companies.
Is surrogacy possible for a single parent?
Depending on the country chosen, a single parent may or may not opt for surrogacy. But if possible, he should just contact the surrogacy company of his choice and get in touch with the staff. Different tests will be carried out to begin treatment with the necessary donor. [/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8xhufF1Qw”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][rcblock id=”741″][/ vc_column][/vc_row]